A furnace might need repair from time to time. In fact, the furnace can decide to stop working any time. You do not have to panic however when they stop working. Basic home repairs can get them back to work. Below are some of the DIY repair tips you need to know for the sake of your furnace. Save the money you would have spent on a professional by repairing it yourself. Read on for the tips.
- Change the filter. This part plays an important role in all furnaces. Most filters spoil during winter because they are under heavy load all day. On blocking, the air flow on the filter becomes very slow. It is advisable to change the filter once in 4 months. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines as well.
- Check the burner flame. Always check to makes sure that the flame is blue and burning evenly. If your flame is yellow, it means that your burner is dirty. It is an indication that there is the production of carbon monoxide as well. In case of the latter case, you should get help from a professional.
- Vacuum the burners. Before cleaning, switch of the gas supply and the system. You can now vacuum the dust or dirt close to the blower compartment and the burners.
- Clean the flame sensor and the blower. These two should be cleaned with a brush and a vacuum cleaner. Be careful here not to damage the counterweights and the wiring. You can clean the flame sensor using an emery cloth which is designed for cleaning metal surfaces.
- Dust the surface igniter. A drinking straw can be used to remove dust from the surface igniter. Avoid touching the hot thing.
- Lubricate the bearings. Check the motor bearings and the blower shaft bearings regularly for lubrication. It is best if you lubricate them yearly. Lightweight motor oil is best for lubrication.
- Do not let it corrode. If you notice a powdery substance from the vent of the exhaust, it means that it is corroded. On this one, you can do nothing, call a professional for help.
- Leaky vents. If you notice a leak during your inspection, seal them up with a heat resistant metal piece or silicone.
- Regularly check the exhaust pipes for air intake. If you come across leaves, ice or debris, remove them ASAP. The materials are best of removed from the exterior of the exhaust.
Many homeowners are not aware of the importance of cleaning their roofs from time to time. It is, however, important to clean and maintain your roof if you want it to serve you longer. As we all know it is the roof which protects us from the rains, sun, dust and adverse weather conditions. This article will give you some amazing tips that will help you keep your roof clean and in perfect conditions across the seasons.
It all starts with the installation. You are advised to choose the best material for your roof. If you want to stay longer before spending on your roof, experts say that you should be willing to spend more and get quality material. It is the only way to have your roof stay longer. Tiles are known to offer long-lasting services. If you want to use something light, it is recommended that you use modern materials. You will be able to save on the amount to be spent on roofing materials.
Quality roofing materials are nothing without a good installation. Make sure that the correct installation procedure is used. Take your time in choosing the roofers. We have so many in the market, but the trusted ones are few.
It is best if you get a rooftop report twice a year. It is a way of saving a lot of money. This is how it goes, in case your roof is damaged, you will be able to notice that early and have it repaired. It will cost you less in repairs than installing the whole roof. During the inspections, you can decide to clean your roof as well. It keeps it free from mildew, moss, and molds. The three are known to make the roof weaker. Hence the need to replace it sooner than you expected.
Paint the rooftop
Painting is another way of making your rooftop stronger. A long-lasting paint should be used. The paint protects your roof from negative elements and bad weather.
Never underestimate cleaning and painting the rooftops. The job especially cleaning sounds very simple, but it is not. To be safe, call a professional if you want your roof cleaned. It is a risky job hence should be left to professionals only.
Tools and equipment
The right equipment should be used in performing all the above. Make sure that the professional you hire owns and carries the latest equipment for effective cleaning.…