Early spring in the little garden

hot dog

Friday was a holiday for my work so I spent the most gorgeous day outside doing a little yard cleanup and garden work. Kyla got a little hot and sought out the one shady spot in the backyard, under a chair I brought out for reading. Such a cute little hot dog.

gardening

The beds might not look like much but they are coming along. They really need to be mulched, and I am going to try to do that this weekend. In the circular bed we have rosemary, sage, cilantro, parsley and chives. I also planted some flower seeds like snapdragon and marigolds, and some okra.

spinach

The bed by the house has spinach, peas, broccoli and kale. The spinach is lookin good.

peas comin up

The peas are almost tall enough to start training to the net trellis.

peas comin up

The blue is my compost bin, which I still haven’t put together. I can’t find zip ties long enough! It’s looking particularly redneck right now, I’m sure my neighbors love me.

kale & spinach

Can’t wait for this kale to be ready!

dragonfly

I left the chives in their big pot since they are doing so well and are about to bloom. I figure once they start dying down in the fall I’ll transplant them into the bed. I got these from a guy on Craigslist a few years ago and have already divided them twice. I leave them outside all winter and never water them or do anything and they always look this amazing!

hot dog

Against my better judgment we tried to get a lawn going. A lawn isn’t exactly environmentally friendly, but Jimmy wanted it and I compromised. In the end I am really glad we did it. It has taken off so well. After the initial seeding stage, I have never watered it and it still looks good. Now I actually want to go out and do things in the yard, because I am not sliding all around in mud and dirt. The real test will be to see how the front lawn does when the trees get their leaves and it’s not getting all that winter sunshine. I’m curious to see.

hot dog

Kyla loves it. I think she’s going to be mad when we cut it for the first time (which needs to happen pretty much immediately) because it will be less fun to roll around and stalk birds in. Can you guys see her little patch growing back in? She recovered well from surgery and thank God it was all benign.

hot dog

What’s coming up in your garden?

Comments

Well, since my backyard is one of those urban concrete rectangles, my garden is all potted. I’m still germinating the seeds indoors and yesterday the last of them finally poked out of the soil! Almost ready to transfer to the pots and put outdoors!

I’m growing: a ton of basil, pickling cucumbers, heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, beets, lettuce, and cayenne pepper.

Wow, it’s coming along nicely! I’ve got a weird hybrid garden of containers and stuff going in the ground because my “yard” is barely there. I’ve got cilantro, chives, romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, snow peas and radishes going and I’m getting ready to throw in some squash. This is my first year growing anything besides weeds and I’m so excited.

I don’t know if they are located in your area, but Northern Tool has a huge variety of zip ties and they might even have the ginormous ones you need.

Tomatoes….I really went all out and got a new soaker hose….as we live in So Cal, if you don’t use a soaker hose all the water evaporates before it can soak in the soil. Also….PUMPKINS HAVE SPROUTED!!!! 3 plants…just want 2 good pumpkins to make pumpkin ravioli. We also have the Oragano that took over the yard, a lemon sapling, a lime tree, tarragon, chives, dill and one little basil sprout…there were more but the GD Squirrels ate them…the bastards.

Good job gardener! Lookin’ good!

Chris said he got my zip ties off a job site…he said the HVAC (heating venalation air) guys are the ones that use them so maybe look in that department at the hardware store.

My goodies are growing alond happily as well. I am looking at my B-day weekend to get some cherry tomatoes in….OH crap! Happy Birthday! It was yesterday right!!

Kyla is so cute! You take awesome pictures, especially that last one of her.

Your chives do look awesome. Aren’t you super excited about gardening season? I know I am!

Today, we had a load of soil delivered for our raised beds. We don’t have far to take it – so we have been toughing it out and lugging it to the frames bucketful by bucketful. We look SO cool out there, shoveling with a spade and a snow shovel. :-)

Inside, we have started tomatoes, peppers, beans, peas and a host of other things. We also have a variety to seed directly into the beds in a few more weeks. We need more mulch, too. We were waiting on the load of soil to even out some of the flower beds. This weekend, we hope to get the rest.

So glad Kyla is doing good & getting out to enjoy the weather. Great pictures!